Paper and paperboard are the most widely used packaging materials in the world. No matter what you're printing or how great your design is, if you have a bad print job your investment will be wasted. How terrible it would be to spend time and money developing an incredible marketing piece, only to have it ruined by a poor print job! If you want your print marketing materials to lead the pack, you've got to look better than the rest. Choosing the best paper type for your project doesn't have to be difficult. It starts with understanding why paper is such a crucial element. Your customers equate the quality of your marketing with the quality of your products and services, so to have a high-quality promotional package suggests you have a high-quality business. People want to purchase from high-quality businesses. So, this two days training session addresses various topics on advance concepts of paper production, paper characteristics, paper properties, quality variables, critical defects and more through hands-on activities accompanied with case studies, presentations and discussion and at the end participants will leave the class with a strong understanding of advance concepts of paper quality management and be able to troubleshoot a variety of paper related issues upon return to their respective facility.
- Paper & paperboard structure, paper formation, wood pulp, pulpwood, and important variables used in the production of paper.
- Paperboard types, solid bleached board, unbleached board, folding box board, white lined chipboard, duplex paperboard.
- Paper grain direction, layer construction, fibers grammage, MP, CP, TM, CTMP, TCF process, bulk, thickness, tearing resistance, shear resistance, shape ability, strength dimension stability, creasability & foldability, taint & odour and various methods involves in ink drying on paper.
- Paper quality variables, basics weight, brightness, surface toughness, ink penetration, air permeability or porosity gloss, PPS roughness, opacity, relative humidity, moisture, pH, volume and impact of these variables on print performance.
- Paper properties, tensile, effect of test specimen size on tensile strength, units, breaking length, paper stiffness, McKee formula, water drop contact angle, angle change rate, cobb water absorption test. caliper and basis weight.
- Paperboard and food contact materials, fillers, sizing agents, parchmentisation agents and retention agents, flotation agents, defoamers, slimicides, Preservatives, Humectants, colorants and optical brighteners, surface refining and coating agents.
- Reel length calculation, outside diameter of reel, net weight of reel, converting, varnishing, die-cutting and creasing, creasibility, good & bad creasing, embossing, stamping, laminating and Glue application.
- Paper common defects, cigarette roll, irregular edge cut, edge debris, picking, hickeys, blade lines, coating impurities, stains, mottling, surface cracks, delamination, blistering, size variation, slack edges, wrinkles, moisture welt, splice or joint, wrapping glue, core related problems with dimensional instability and best recommendations.
- Paper standards 21 CFR 176.170, ISO 534, 2471, 11475, 2470-1, 8791-4 and recommendations for conditioning and storage.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Plant Management
- Print Supervisor | Manager
- QHSE supervisor | Manager
- NPD supervisor | Manager
- Quality Control Technicians
- Ink and chemicals suppliers
- Prepress and Graphic Designers
- Ink room technicians / Ink matchers
- Printing & Packaging Technologists.
- Sales and Customer Service Representatives
- Printers/laminators/ slitters Operators and Helpers
- Those new to the graphic, paper and printing industry
- Understand paperboard structure, composition, productions process and important variables involve in the paper production.
- Standardize the paperboard critical quality variables during production-run in order to optimize the quality of paperboard.
- Maintain the paper properties accurately and compliance to food contact materials global standards and regulation in order to enhance the food safety culture as well as consumer protection.
- Determine the reel length, outside diameter, net weight of the reel and eliminate the common defects of paperboard.
- Increase accuracy, decrease waste & cost, customer complaints, speed up time-to-market and streamlines the processes.
- Troubleshoot paperboard related problems during paper production and printing with effective root cause analysis that avoid materials rejection.
- Able to eliminate materials waste, paperboard defects as well as machine downtime to boost process efficiency leading to high profitability.
- Apply his skills to enhance paper quality & efficient productivity that increase job to job profitability with customer retention.
- Implement the SOPs, checklists, machine centerlines, ISO and OSHA standards in paperboard, graphics and printing industry.